A staple for most Greek restaurants, this classic recipe is the perfect snack, appetizer or dip for those delicious Greek Meatballs! Light, refreshing and healthy.
- 2 cucumbers (or one hot house cucumber)
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely.
- 1 1/3 – 1.5 cup of plain greek yogurt (whole milk or low fat: your choice). Here in Colorado we sometimes use the creamy Noosa plain yogurt and it is delicious.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- dried dill
- pepper to taste
- lemon juice from half a lemon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Peel and grate cucumbers. Using a cheesecloth, squeeze as much of the liquid out as you can. You can also add some salt to the grated cucumber and leave it in a sieve to drain out for 30 minutes). You could also de-seed the cucumber if you have one with very large seeds.
Mix all the ingredients. Taste to see whether the salt is enough, add more to taste. Serve after it sits for 10 – 15 minutes. If serving later, add the lemon juice closer to when you will serve it as the flavor wanes.
Serve with pita chips, pita or crackers!