Recipe: Ginger Squash Soupby Jessie Beyer - Tuesday, November 5, 2019
Recipe: Ginger Squash Soup
Fall is here and with the crispy air comes an excellent excuse to head out to the farmers market and pick up some fresh squash followed by a relaxing afternoon in the kitchen cooking a delicious and aromatic pot of soup! Whether served with a nice loaf of bread or salad on the side, this dish will tickle your taste buds.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
4 cups cubed butternut squash
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. In a pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until soft, 5-6 minutes.
2. Stir in ginger and cook for 30-60 seconds, just until fragrant.
3. Measure in squash, broth, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until squash is extremely soft.
5. Puree soup using an immersion or regular blender.
6. Return to pot (if using regular blender) and add heavy cream.
7. Serve soup in bowls and top with a swirl of soy sauce and a sprinkle of cilantro and sesame seeds.
*Recipe adapted from Naturally Ella