Tiramisu: Make it gluten free!
You won’t even know the gluten’s gone missing…
This recipe will be a hit at any meal, but is also a special nod to my fellow Celiacs (gluten-free folks)! It can be tough to navigate holiday meals with severe food restrictions, and though we Celiacs can’t always have our cake and eat it too, that doesn’t have to be the case this holiday! While it’s not the quickest dessert to fix, it is well worth the effort! I’ve now made this for multiple holiday gatherings over the years and have always returned with an empty dish. Not once have gluten-eaters even noticed that the gluten’s gone missing from this traditional Italian treat. With one simple swap (exchange regular lady fingers for gluten-free ones) everyone can savor this delicious treat. And for the gluten-friendly households, stick with regular lady fingers and you’re still sure to delight your guests.
** As you know it’s always important to read the ingredients but aside from swapping traditional lady fingers for GF ones, the rest of the ingredients listed are GF assuming they are purchased as whole foods – not imitation, altered versions etc.
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
4 tablespoons rum (optional)
2 (3 ounce) packages gluten-free ladyfinger cookies
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Add mascarpone mixture to cream, without over-stirring to flatten the whipped cream.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum.
- Dip lady fingers quickly into coffee/rum mixture as you arrange half of ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Lady fingers should be wet but not soaking with the coffee/rum mix.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.
*If you have the time to make it a day or two ahead of your event the flavors will be fantastic!