Pasta with Kale
I have found that the I prefer using the sun-dried tomato pesto, rather than the soaked sun-dried tomatoes themselves, as the original recipe calls for. Your choice.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes or two-three tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes pesto
- 1 pound pasta (penne, twists, farfalle, angel hair, etc…)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes or powder
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound kale, coarse stems and midribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. capers with 1 tbsp of their juice (or vinegar)salt to taste
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in hot water until they are soft, about 10 min. Drain, cut them into pieces and reserve.
Begin cooking the pasta. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute’ the onion until it is golden. Add the red pepper flakes or powder and the tomatoes or the tomato pesto, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
Add the kale, tossing well to wilt. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Add the capers and their juice and remove from heat.
When the pasta is cooked al dente, drain and mix it with the kale. Serve with parmesan cheese.