A perfect way to use up some bread that has gotten a bit old and a great summer salad! So many dishes from Tuscany are
For six people:
- 8 pieces or more (or less) of hard Tuscan bread or any dense and crusty sourdough bread.
- Six very ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Two large red onions, very thinly sliced
- One cucumber, cut in chunks
- 8 or more basil leaves
- 2-4 tablespoons good olive oil,
- salt, pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Soak the bread in cold water, for 30 seconds to 1 minute so it is less hard and dry, but still has some room to soak up the dressing. Squeeze the water out without crushing the bread and tear into pieces into a salad bowl. Add the vegetables, oil, basil, salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Before serving, toss with wine vinegar.
For an adaptation with mozzarella check out the NY Times Cooking recipe.