Expedition style bike tours
Ride. Rest. Repeat. Relish it all!
Expeditions are for folks who want long days in the saddle followed by hearty meals and a good night’s sleep before doing it all over again. Unlike our other bike tour styles our Expeditions are all about long-distance exploration and the challenge of pedaling across continents. They include all the elements of what we know makes an excellent tour: excellent route design, local guides and insightful local experiences, with the the added satisfaction of pedaling longer distances and crossing multiple countries. Remote locations mean accommodations will vary from basic to luxurious.
Although we work hard to select the appropriate routes, on expedition tours we may not have scouted every single mile in advance.
What’s included on expedition tours:
- Lodging: Accommodations on Expedition tours are generally 3 star-hotels with a private bathroom 90% of the time with the occasional 2 or 4-star hotel. We cannot always guarantee single and private rooms in every hotel due to the size of some establishments.
- Meals: Meals on our Expedition tours are as important as having a good bike! We’ll always seek the most genuine local and regional cuisine and make sure that you have enough energy for the next day. All breakfasts are included and will almost always be at the hotel. Lunches on your own might be on the road (either as a pack lunch or we’ll recommend cafes and grocery stores on the way where you can get picnic supplies).
- Bikes: Choose a high-quality, lightweight titanium hybrid or road bike, or tandem. E-bikes are not available on most Expeditions. Review the options on our bikes page.
- Navigation: ExperiencePlus! chalk arrows are your primary tool for navigating on Expedition tours. GPS-tracks, though not necessary, are also provided to download to your own device.
- Tour Leaders: Expedition tours will be led by a team of tour leaders, depending on group size. Learn more about our tour leaders at our tour leader page.
- Van Support: Expedition tours will have limited van support. Instead of seeing the van throughout the day you may only see it once. If you need a ride you may have to wait until after it has arrived at the hotel, deposited the luggage and double backs for you.
- Tour leader gratuities are included in Expedition tours pricing.
- Tips and gratuities at tour hotels and group meals.
- Travel assistance with transportation to and from the tour, including arranging extra nights at the tour starting and/or ending hotels.
- Complimentary gift.
What’s not included
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare or ground transportation.
- Helmets – we ask that you bring your own to ensure the safest fit
- Meals not listed in the itinerary.
- Alcoholic beverages with group dinners.
- Trip Insurance – learn more about trip insurance at our travel planning pages.
Find a tour
Expedition: Chile’s Carretera Austral
Jan 04, 2025 – Jan 20, 2025
Book now and save $200 per person!
Expedition: Bike Across Britain: Land’s End to John O’Groats
Jun 29, 2024 – Jul 21, 2024
Contact Us for Availability. No private rooms available. E-bikes not available.