Bike Quality Matters
That's why we provide premium bikes for lasting comfort on your bicycle tour.A good bike, and bike fit, can make or break a bicycle tour. We understand this and that is why take great pride in providing high-quality bikes, specifically fitted to each cyclist's unique build. Our full-time mechanics tune-up every bike when it returns to our Italian headquarters after each tour.
- Saddle (We offer a variety of gender-specific styles to choose from.)
- Rear rack
- Rack pack (approx.11" X 6" X 7" and expandable) with: pump, patch kit, spare tube
- Cable lock
- Toe cages (optional)
- Rear lights (on European tours)
- Water bottle cage and a water bottle - two water bottle cages are available if you prefer. (Water bottles are yours to keep!)
What bike should you choose?Pick a bike that is similar to the bike you are used to riding at home. Some people prefer the drop handlebars that a road bike offers; while others prefer the upright style of a hybrid bike. The bike you select for your trip with us should be the one you are most comfortable with.
If you ride clipless and are used to cycling with clips, we recommend you bring your own pedals and shoes. If you don't bring your own pedals, we provide flat pedals, pedals with cages and pedals with cages and straps. You'll have the chance to tell us what you prefer when you register for your trip! If you don't know, feel free to call us.
With “drop” handle bars, 2 x 11 compacts, or 30-speed triples and 700 X 25 tires. The large majority of our fleet in Europe consists of lightweight (56cm comes in at just over 18 pounds), responsive and comfortable Nevi or Van Nicholas Titanium frames. Our fleet includes both triple and compact double gearing systems. The triples feature Shimano Ultegra and 105 components with a 11-28 cassette and a 30-39-50 crankset. The compact double (2 X 11) Shimano 105 gearing system has an 11-32 cassette and a 34-50 crankset. Read more about our Titanium bicycle fleet.
Van Nicholas Amazon Titanium custom hybrid bikes available in both a standard and mixte (step-through) frame. Each component has been carefully selected to create a bike perfect for conquering Mont Ventoux, the hills of Tuscany, or meandering through the Loire Valley. Your hybrid bike will be lightweight and features carbon forks, rapid-fire shifters, and a 30 speed Shimano SLX drivetrain with a low gear ratio (42-32-24 chainrings and 11-34 cassette that make for a 18,9 low gear ratio expressed in gear inches) for the steeper climbs. In other words they have a low gear for climbing and a higher range for flats and downhills.
Hybrid Mixte Bike:
A few things to consider about the e-bikes:
- E-bike rentals are not included in the tour price. For 7 to 8 day tours there is $250 fee, and for tours that are 9 days, or longer the fee is $300.
- We limit the number of e-bikes to two per departure.
- These bikes are much heavier (53 pounds) than a regular bike.
- Bikes come with 700x40 Schwalbe Energizer Pro tires that are made specifically for e-bikes. The tires feature an anti-puncture layer, good grip, and minimal rolling resistance.
- The e-bike drive automatically switches off if speeds exceed 25km/h (15 mph).
- Though the bikes are very quiet the electric engine does produce a light but constant noise.
- The bikes can be ridden without assist though as mentioned above they are much heavier than a regular bike.
- Operating range depends on many factors such as the assistance level, gear switching behavior, route profile, head wind, temperatures but in general the average range of our battery packs is 110km (68 miles).
Riding an e-bike is easy and we will offer you instructions at the bike fitting. You should know that because of its weight the e-bike handles a bit differently than a regular bike. It also might take you a day, or so, to reach maximum efficiency using the pedal assist.
Bike Trailers for Kids:
We have a limited number of bike trailers available for our tours in Europe and all of our bikes, including our E-bikes are compatible. Trailers are not included in the tour price. For a 7 to 8 day tour there is a $150 fee and for tours 9 days, or longer the rental fee is $200.
Our trips in Latin America are designed entirely on paved roads but due to various import restrictions we are not able to always have the Van Nicholas bikes available.
Chile and Argentina Bikes:
Road Bikes: Merida Road Lite Race 901 and 903 models that come with an aluminum-frame and carbon forks, Shimano Tiagra brakes. Most bikes offer an 18-speed compact gearing system with 50-34 chainrings and a rear cassette 12-28 or 12-27. The bikes come with 700 x 23 tires. A large bike weighs approximately 20 lbs. We have a few bikes with 27-speed triples (53-39-30 chainrings, 11-32 Cassette) most are sized for either very tall or short riders.
Hybrid Bikes: Our hybrid fleet is a combination of Schwinn and GT bikes that feature aluminum-frames. These bikes are outfitted with 700x35 tires. They have 24 speeds, Shimano components and 44-32-22 chainrings and a 12-36T cassette. The hybrids come with mechanical disk brakes. A small bike weighs approximately 30 lbs.
Bikes Available in Cuba:
In Cuba we will be riding a Trek Fitness bike, similar to a hybrid or flat bar road bike. With a wide ranging cassette (11-34, 10 speed) and a compact but versatile front crank (48-34) this light bike has a carbon fork and a light weight aluminum frame. We'll have our rear racks on there as well as cyclomters just as you would expect on any tour in Europe. Bring your saddle and pedals or pick from our selection of seats and flat pedals or half-cage pedals.
Bikes on TourzPlus Tours
Our TourzPlus partners provide a quality bicycle fleet. If you have questions about the bikes available on any TourzPlus tour we’ll be happy to send you the specifics.