Travel planning

Electronics on tour

What’s an adapter? And will my hairdryer plug into “their” outlets? Scratching your head as you are trying to figure out what to consider when bringing electronics on tour? Read on to find answers to these questions and more.

Adapters and converters

Electrical outlets vary in their shape across countries. Plugs and outlets are categorized into types from A through N. In order to make your device’s plug fit into local outlets, you will need an adapter.

The voltage used across the world is either 110V-127V or 220-240V (the US uses 110V). A converter will make your device usable in countries with a different voltage than your home country’s.

Many modern electronics people usually take on their travels – smart phones, tablets and laptops– already have a built-in voltage converter, in which case, you will only need an adapter to plug it in. In the increasingly rare event that you bring a device that doesn’t have a battery pack with a voltage converter or a built-in converter (shaver, hair dryer etc), you’ll need to buy a separate voltage converter.

Both adapters and converters can be found at just about any local hardware, travel or outdoors store.  We find this guide pretty thorough and helpful. The International Electrotechnical Commission also has a helpful list with adapters used internationally, that you can filter by country.

Usually, hotels used on our tours will have hair dryers in the room. If not, they will them available at the front desk. The same is true for barges and boats on our tours.