Literature on the Czech Republic
- The Coasts of Bohemia: A Czech History by Derek Sayer
- A History of the Czech Lands by Jaroslav Panek
- Prague: A Cultural and Literary History (Cities of the Imagination) by Richard D. E. Burton
- Prague in Danger: The Years of German Occupation, 1939-45: Memories and History, Terror and Resistance, Theater and Jazz, Film and Poetry, Politics and War by Peter Demetz
Books by Czech Authors
- Golem: A story based on traditional sources about a man shaped of clay, a golem, to avenge the persecuted Jews of Prague by David Wisniewski
- R.U.R (Rossum’s Universal Robots): A 1920 Science fiction play that introduced the word robot to refer to human-looking machines by Karel Čapek
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being: A novel set 1968 Prague Spring period of Czechoslovak history by Milan Kundera
- Any works by Franz Kafka
Movies About or Set in the Czech Republic or by Czech Filmmakers
- The Shop on Main Street (Obchod na korze) – 1965 Slovakia. Academy Award best foreign language film winner. During the World War II expulsion of Jews, a mild mannered carpenter takes over a sewing notions store run by an elderly senile Jewish woman that tends to live sheltered from the current political climate. Believing him to be her nephew and with financial support from the Jewish community the situation works until the “nephew” must make a decision to hide or turn in the old woman.
- Closely Watched Trains (Ostře sledované vlaky) – 1966 Czechoslovakia. Academy Award best foreign language film winner. Set during World War II, this is a coming-of-age story of a young boy that works at a train station in Czechoslovakia. It combines humor and sadness with the relationships of the characters in
their rural setting and busy small train station.
- Loves of a Blonde (also titled A Blonde in Love). – 1965 Czechoslovakia. A working-class woman from a factory town attempts to reunite with a musician from Prague but when she leaves home for the big city she finds that he is not interested.
- The Firemen’s Ball – 1967 Czechoslovakia. The volunteer fire department of a small town organizes and annual ball featuring a lottery and an beauty contest. Whatever can go wrong does in this comedy film in which the fireman are portrayed by actual firefighters and not actors.