Explorer style bike tours
Part Paved Roads. Part Gravel Roads. 100% Unforgettable Experience.
Cycle on a mixture of surfaces to experience natural beauty and local secrets unconfined by the limitations of paved roads. If you are a traveler who embraces adventure, loves a clean room, warm shower, and a delicious meal – but aren’t too concerned about 4-star hotels, Explorer tours are for you.
- Lodging: We aim for comfortable 2 and 3-star hotels and bed and breakfasts with character. Most importantly, we’ll make sure you have a good breakfast that will energize you for the day and a comfortable bed.
- Smaller Group Size: Explorer tours are limited to just 14 guests.
- Meals: Breakfast and the first and last dinner will be inculded with your tour. Lunch options will vary each day. If we are in urban areas we’ll recommend places to stop for lunch en route. If you are in a rural region we might suggest picnic supplies or a packed lunch from the hotel. Our tour leaders will always suggest their favorite local specialties!
- Tour Design: Explorer tours are meant to explore a region so you’ll most often be traveling from hotel to hotel every night.
- Bikes: Bike style (mountain and e-hybrid) and tire sizes on our Explorer tours are selected specifically to handle the type of terrain you will encounter.
- Terrain: Though you will not be riding technical singletrack you will encounter a wide variety of road and trail surfaces including sections of rough or rocky terrain that require good balance and handling skills.
- Navigation: Riders will be provided with a GPS (Garmin Edge, Edge 1000 or similar model) with the tracks preloaded. We will also provide GPS-tracks if you would like download them to your own device. Choose between navigating with the GPS, riding with your tour leader or a combination of the two!
- Van Support: Explorer tours include van support that provides luggage transfers, water and snack resupply, mechanical assistance, and a lift for tired cyclists! However, given the nature of the routes the van will not always be able to follow the cyclists.
- Complimentary gift.
What’s not included:
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare or ground transportation.
- Pre and post tour travel assistance. We will provide arrival and departure details and tips as well as first and last night hotel information if you would like to book any extra nights on your own.
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Alcohol at group meals
- Tour Leader gratuity
- Trip Insurance – learn more about trip insurance at our travel planning pages.
Find a tour
Explorer: Croatia Blue & Green
May 18, 2024 – May 25, 2024
Aug 31, 2024 – Sep 07, 2024
Explorer: Cycling the Algarve
Apr 03, 2024 – Apr 09, 2024
May 01, 2024 – May 07, 2024
Departure confirmed to go!
Oct 09, 2024 – Oct 15, 2024
2 More to Confirm Departure
Nov 20, 2024 – Nov 26, 2024
Explorer: White Roads of Tuscany
May 05, 2024 – May 11, 2024
Sep 08, 2024 – Sep 14, 2024
1 more to confirm the departure
Explorer: Cycling the Azores
Apr 21, 2024 – Apr 27, 2024
Sold out – waitlist available. Inaugural tour pricing.
Oct 20, 2024 – Oct 26, 2024