Did someone say cycling holiday? Take a spin then relax and enjoy your surroundings.
If you are looking for a more flexible schedule during your five to six-night group vacation that allows for great cycling and additional activities on your own while staying in one area, Spotlight tours are for you!
Spotlight tours are five to six night cycling vacations based in two locations. They combine superb cycling routes and the opportunity to take advantage of additional cultural and physical activities on your own. Depending on your tour, optional activities may include the likes of water sports, culinary classes, artisan visits, yoga classes and more. Settle in to your vacation and live like a local in a picture-perfect town or "agriturismo".
Monica and Maria Elena explain their inspriation for the Spotlight Tour in this Q&A.
What to Expect
Each morning your tour leaders will mark your cycling route with our chalk arrows. For those who want to cycle just a bit further, we can suggest extra mileage options on most Spotlight tours. Itineraries may include group activities on 1 or 2 days giving you the freedom to explore and relax on your own during the rest of your afternoons. Extra activities not included in the tour description will be supported by local operators and are not included in the tour price. If advance booking is necessary, we will let you know before the tour begins.
- Settle in and live like a local in a picture-perfect town or "agriturismo".
- Unpack for 2-3 nights at a time enjoying stunning scenery, great hospitality and a wide range of activities.
- A more flexible schedule allows for cycling and additional activities to enjoy the area.
- Optional activities might include horseback riding, snorkeling, culinary classes, artisanal visits, yoga, tennis, etc.
- Routes on Spotlight tours are on paved roads and paths. You'll find specific information about the tour level, daily terrain, mileage and elevation gain on each tour's itinerary page.
- Optional rides will often be available to add more mileage each day or to shorten the day. If you know you will want more miles than what is listed on the daily mileage let us know and we are happy to provide extra miles via GPS tracks.
All ExperiencePlus! tours include the three most important pieces of a guided bike tour:
- Superb tour leaders who are fun and multilingual, bi-cultural experts, and cycling enthusiasts. They're experienced to help you navigate confidently on and off the road. You will have 2-3 tour leaders depending on the group size.
- High quality bikes that are appropriately selected for the terrain you are traveling through and are fit and prepared just for you.
- Thoughtfully designed itineraries and routes that maximize the cycling experience in each destination and that takes advantage of the freedom a bike is meant to enable — but without making you feel unsupported or alone.
The following inclusions are specific to Spotlight Tours.
- Lodging: Hotels have been specifically selected for their amenities and character. Spotlight tour itineraries will only stay at two or three hotels letting you fully enjoy the surroundings and what they have to offer. Comfortable lodging in three to five-star hotels located in just the right place: near the town square or in a perfectly placed countryside corner with stunning views
- Meals: Included meals highlight culinary traditions and regional seasonal specialties. All breakfasts and the first and last dinner together are included.
- Wine or beer with group dinners.
- Bikes: Choose a high-quality, lightweight titanium hybrid or road bike, or tandem. E-bikes are also available with a surcharge. Review the options on our bikes page.
- Navigation: ExperiencePlus! chalk arrows are your primary tool for navigating on Spotlight tours. GPS-tracks, though not necessary, are also provided for you to download to your own device. Daily route maps will also be available.
- Terrain: Cycling routes on paved roads and paths. You'll find specific information about the tour level, the daily terrain, mileage and elevation gain on each tour's itinerary page.
- Daily mileage options: For those folks who just can't get enough cycling, we'll suggest optional routes off our marked course. These may not be available every day but if you know you will want to add miles you can request more before your date and we will provide them on most days.
- Van Support: Tours include van support that provides luggage transfers, water and snack resupply, mechanical assistance, and a lift for tired cyclists!
- Traveler Services: Assistance with transportation to and from the tour, including arranging extra nights at the tour starting and/or ending hotels.
- Suggestions for additional activities and visits that are relevant to the destination e.g. kayaking excursions, diving excursions, rock climbing options. Extra activities not included in the tour description will be supported by local operators and are not included in the Spotlight tour price. If advance booking is necessary, we will let you know before the tour begins.
- Local Experiences: Special events like wine tastings, cultural and artisanal visits as described in the trip itinerary.
- Complimentary gift.
What's Not Included
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare or ground transportation.
- Meals not listed in the itinerary.
- Optional activities not listed in the itinerary.
- Tour Leader gratuity.
- Trip Insurance - learn more about trip insurance at our travel planning pages.