Part Paved Roads. Part Gravel Roads. 100% Unforgettable Experience.
Cycle on a mixture of surfaces to experience natural beauty and local secrets unconfined by the limitations of paved roads. If you are a traveler who embraces adventure, loves a clean room, warm shower, and a delicious meal - but aren't too concerned about 4-star hotels, Explorer tours are for you.
What to Expect
Explorer bike tours let you travel even further off the beaten (or paved) path without having to break the budget. You will have fewer included group meals and activities.
- Routes on Explorer tours include a combination of dirt paths and roads with some rough or rocky sections, and asphalt roads so you need to be comfortable on and off pavement. No technical singletrack routes, but you do need to be comfortable handling a bike on a variety of surfaces.
- You're in it to experience a unique destination at the end of the day, not for the number of stars your hotel has.
- Explore simple pleasures and accommodations, stunning views with a group of like-minded adventurers.
- Explorers know how to go with the flow, change a flat tire, and enjoy the roads less traveled as they often lead to some of the most incredible destinations and experiences.
All ExperiencePlus! tours have the three most important aspects of a guided bike tour as part of each experience:
- Superb tour leaders who are fun and multilingual, bi-cultural experts, and cycling enthusiasts. They're experienced to help you navigate confidently on and off the road. Every explorer tour will have two tour leaders. One tour leader will ride with the group while the other will drive the support van.
- Bikes that are appropriately selected for the terrain you are traveling through and are fit and prepared just for you.
- Thoughtfully designed itineraries and routes that maximize the cycling experience in each destination and that takes advantage of the freedom of traveling by bike.
All of our Explorer Tours also include:
- Lodging: We aim for comfortable 2 and 3-star hotels and bed and breakfasts with character. Most importantly, we’ll make sure you have a good breakfast that will energize you for the day and a comfortable bed.
- Smaller Group Size: Explorer tours are limited to just 14 guests.
- Meals: Breakfast and the first and last dinner will be inculded with your tour. Lunch options will vary each day. If we are in urban areas we’ll recommend places to stop for lunch en route. If you are in a rural region we might suggest picnic supplies or a packed lunch from the hotel. Our tour leaders will always suggest their favorite local specialties!
- Tour Design: Explorer tours are meant to explore a region so you’ll most often be traveling from hotel to hotel every night.
- Bikes: Bike style (gravel, hybrid) and tire sizes on our Explorer tours are selected specifically to handle the type of terrain you will encounter.
- Terrain: Though you will not be riding technical singletrack you will encounter a wide variety of road and trail surfaces including sections of rough or rocky terrain that require good balance and handling skills.
- Navigation: Riders will be provided with a GPS (Garmin Edge, Edge 1000 or similar model) with the tracks preloaded. We will also provide GPS-tracks if you would like download them to your own device. Choose between navigating with the GPS, riding with your tour leader or a combination of the two!
- Van Support: Explorer tours include van support that provides luggage transfers, water and snack resupply, mechanical assistance, and a lift for tired cyclists! However, given the nature of the routes the van will not always be able to follow the cyclists.
- Complimentary gift.
What's Not Included
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare or ground transportation.
- Pre and post tour travel assistance. We will provide arrival and departure details and tips as well as first and last night hotel information if you would like to book any extra nights on your own.
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Alcohol at group meals
- Tour Leader gratuity
- Trip Insurance - learn more about trip insurance at our travel planning pages.