Expedition Tour Style
Ride. Rest. Repeat. Relish it all!Expeditions are for folks who want long days in the saddle followed by hearty meals and a good night’s sleep before doing it all over again. Unlike all of our other bike tour styles our Expeditions are all about long-distance exploration and the challenge of pedaling across continents. They include all the elements of what we know makes an excellent tour: excellent route design, local guides and insightful local experiences, with the the added satisfaction of pedaling longer distances and crossing multiple countries.
What to Expect
Expeditions are for folks who want long days in the saddle followed by hearty meals and a good night’s sleep — and then doing it all over again.
- Expeditions are all about long-distance exploration and the challenge of pedaling across continents.
- Remote locations mean accommodations will vary from basic to luxurious.
- Local guides pair with ExperiencePlus! tour leaders to offer insightful experiences.
- Pedal long distances and cross multiple countries. Expeditions are for those who truly want to travel by bike.
- Although we work hard to select the appropriate routes, on expedition tours we may not have scouted every single mile in advance.
- Our Expeditions are designed to appeal to cyclists of any age. All you need is cycling experience, endurance and be up for the challenge.
All ExperiencePlus! tours have the three most important aspects of a guided bike tour as part of each experience:
- Superb tour leaders who are fun and multilingual, bi-cultural experts, and cycling enthusiasts. They're experienced to help you navigate confidently on and off the road.
- High quality bikes that are appropriately selected for the terrain you are traveling through and are fit and prepared just for you.
- Thoughtfully designed itineraries and routes that maximize the cycling experience in each destination and that takes advantage of the freedom a bike is meant to enable — but without making you feel unsupported or alone.
All Expedition tours include the following:
- Lodging: Accommodations on Expedition tours are generally 3 star-hotels with a private bathroom 90% of the time with the occasional 2 or 4-star hotel. We cannot always guarantee single and private rooms in every hotel due to the size of some establishments.
- Meals: Meals on our Expedition tours are as important as having a good bike! We'll always seek the most genuine local and regional cuisine and make sure that you have enough energy for the next day. All breakfasts are included and will almost always be at the hotel. Half of your lunches are included. Lunches on your own might be on the road (either as a pack lunch or we'll recommend cafes and grocery stores on the way where you can get picnic supplies).
- Bikes: Choose a high-quality, lightweight titanium hybrid or road bike, or tandem. E-bikes are also available with a surcharge but limited to 2 per departure on Expeditions. Review the options on our bikes page.
- Navigation: ExperiencePlus! chalk arrows are your primary tool for navigating on Expedition tours. The arrows are an extension of your tour leaders - they point you to the best views, encourage you with cheers, smiles at the top of hills, and direct you to that special bakery. Our arrows ensure the freedom to travel at your own pace. GPS-tracks, though not necessary, are also provided (GPS-tracks are not available for South America tours).
- Tour Leaders: Expedition tours will be led by a team of tour leaders, depending on group size. Learn more about our tour leaders at our tour leader page.
- Van Support: Expedition tours will have limited van support. Instead of seeing the van throughout the day you may only see it once. If you need a ride you may have to wait until after it has arrived at the hotel, deposited the luggage and double backs for you.
- Tour leader gratuities are included in Expedition tours pricing.
- Tips and gratuities at tour hotels and group meals.
- Complimentary gift.
What's not included:
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare or ground transportation.
- Helmets - we ask that you bring your own to ensure the safest fit
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Recycle credits are not included but can be redeemed