Croatia Reading and Movie List
by Andrea Segura - Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Literature on Croatia
- The Balkans Since 1453, by L.S. Stavrianos
- Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia, by Rebecca West
- Croatia: A Nation Forged in War, by Marcus Tanner
- Dubrovnik: A History, by Robin Harris
- How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed, by Slavenka Drakulic
- Croatia: Travel in Undiscovered Country, by Tony Fabijančić
- The Krajina Chronicle: A History of Serbs in Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, by Srdja Trifkovic
Literature about Croatian Food & Wine
- The Food and Cooking of Eastern Europe, by Lesley Chamberlain
- Mosher: The Best of Croatian Cooking, by Liliana Pavicic and Gordana Pirker
Movies About or Set in Croatia That We Have Enjoyed
- Actorul si Salbaticii (1974) – “The Actor and the Savages” directed by Manole Marcus
- Ta divna splitska noć (2004) – “A Wonderful Night in Split” directed Arsen A. Ostojić. Nominated for a European Discovery Award.
- Oprosti za kung fu (2004) – “Sorry for Kung Fu” directed by Ognjen Sviličić, premiered at the Berlin Film Festival.
- Armin (2006) – Also by Ognjen Sviličić. This film was Croatia’s entry for the 2008 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film.
Awards, Memberships and Reviews