Follow the arrows
And enjoy the Ride!The unmistakable ExperiencePlus! chalk arrow is the primary tool for providing guided independence for every rider on every ride. These arrows serve as a personal navigation tool and are a feature of our tours that both first-time and veteran riders appreciate. We are very conscious of the impact our arrows may have on the communities we travel through and therefore we train our tour leader in the following guidelines:
- The material we use must not be permanent and must be 100% natural. We select gypsum chalk which has a neutral ph and is not harmful to the environment and is widely used in regular building construction. Each arrow uses a very small amount of powdered chalk and it is purposefully not mixed with water in order to lessen its durability.
- The principle goal of our arrows are to provide navigation. We want to use the number and quantity of arrows necessary to safely provide direction for our travelers but not so many that they appear intrusive.
- At times we may point out sights or suggested resting stops for our cyclists, we talk to our vendors and partners to make sure they understand that a bucket of water on an arrow will wash it away if they are concerned about it lasting more than a few days.
- In historic city centers we train our tour leaders to use as few arrows as possible. In some towns we refrain entirely from using them – instead providing city maps for how to enter and exit town to each of our riders.
- Our Tour Leaders may write encouraging messages to our cyclists on mountain passes like people do in the classic cycling races throughout the world. Since our chalk will disappear under car traffic it rarely lasts more than a few days or a week and we make sure it is far from town.
- Generally our arrows don't last more than a week or two if they are in an area that receives some traffic. Under heavy traffic they may disappear in a few days.
- We don't use colored chalk as that would add coloring agents that are not natural.
Tour Leaders and Tour Support...