2013 Expeditions with ExperiencePlus!by ExperiencePlus! - Tuesday, October 2, 2012
ExpeditionPlus! trips feature exploration on a continental scale and are designed for experienced cyclists looking for a challenging adventure.
ExperiencePlus! is offering two of our popular ExpeditionPlus! trips in 2013. On June 14, 2013, the Euro Velo 6 Expedition begins on the west coast of France continues through Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania ending 45 days later at the Black Sea on July 28. The expedition that started it all, St Petersburg , Russia to Istanbul, Turkey, will also be back in 2013. The adventure begins in St Petersburg on August 14th and continues through 10 countries including Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and ends in Istanbul on September 28.
Spaces are going very quickly– in fact both tours are on course to sell out before our $400 per person Expedition Early Booking Discount expires on November 15th. If you are considering the possibility of joining us, it’s time to act!
Here are a few things that you need to consider before committing to an ExpeditionPlus! trip.
Ways that Expeditions differ from regular ExperiencePlus! bicycle tours.
- Though we’ll hold daily briefings, there will be times when we don’t have all the answers .
- Daily mileages are significantly higher than on our regular tours. Averages for both of the 2013 Expeditions is 75 miles a day.
- The route may not have been scouted in advance so mileages may vary from the itinerary descriptions, and you may encounter sections with traffic or gravel.
- Some lodging will not have been inspected in advance. Hotel quality will generally be 3 stars with a private bathroom 90% of the time; occasionally we’ll be in a 2 or 4 star hotel. You should be prepared for some accommodations that offer certain cultural experiences (such as having postage size towels or local fauna in the front ‘yard) – but hey, that’s part of the adventure!
- Approximately 70% of dinners will be included (see detailed itineraries for specifics). Alcohol is not included.
- Approximately 70% of picnic lunches are included. In most cases you’ll be making your own from the hotel’s breakfast bar.
- There will be van support, but it is limited. Instead of seeing the van throughout the day you may only see it once. If you need a ride you may have to wait until after it has arrived at the hotel, deposited the luggage and double backs for you.
- Expeditions are generally 20 – 30% less expensive per night than a regular ExperiencePlus! tour.
- You must sign a waiver acknowledging the risks involved in such a trip if you opt not to take out Travel Insurance. We advise on how to obtain insurance but it is the responsibility of the expedition member.
- ExperiencePlus! Recycle credits are not included and cannot be redeemed.
- Enrollment in an Expedition is subject to an application process (Euro Velo 6 application, St Petersburg application. This ensures that everyone on the trip is capable of riding long distances and enjoying the Expedition.
Our Expeditions are unique in many ways but they do include many highlights that have made our regular ExperiencePlus! bicycle tours so popular since 1972:
- You’ll enjoy the same quality of pre-tour support. (Yes, a human will answer the phone when you call us! )
- Use of high-quality bicycle , rear rack pack, cycle computer, water bottles, bicycle lock, pump, and tire repair kit are included in the price.
- Luggage will be shuttled between destinations.
- The route will be designed by ExperiencePlus!, working with local experts and route maps will be provided.
- We’ll always seek the most genuine local & regional cuisine.
- We’ll have one or two ExperiencePlus! tour leaders along and a bilingual local leader.
ExpeditionPlus! tours are an extraordinary opportunity to bicycle across continents. They require that you be physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for such an adventure. A sense of humor may be your greatest asset. Things will be different than they are at home and isn’t that the point? Join us to explore and experience unique landscapes and cultures as you explore each of these unique countries one pedal stroke at a time.