Risotto with Pear, Gorgonzola, & Walnutsby ExperiencePlus! - Monday, October 3, 2011
This month’s recipe comes to us from tour leader Enrico Dal Monte who you may have met on tour in Belgium, Italy, France or Spain. Pears are in season so it’s the perfect time to make this delicious cheesy risotto.
2 cups Carnaroli fine rice (not parboiled)
4 cups vegetable broth
2 shallots very finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup white wine
3 red pears cut in small pieces – red pears add color to the dish.
1/2 cup soft sweet or spicy Gorgonzola at room temperature
1/4 cup toasted fresh walnuts, keep 6 nice halves and the rest cut up
2 leafs of sage – optional
Parmesan – optional
Black pepper and salt to taste
- Lightly toast walnuts
- Cut the pears into small pieces.
- Cut Gorgonzola into small pieces.
- Finely chop the shallots and sauté in pan with 4 Tablespoons of butter until translucent.
- Add the rice and fry until well-coated with the onion and butter and the rice starts to toast (don’t let them get brown though).
- Add the wine and allow to evaporate completely
- Add just enough broth to cover the rice, lower heat and cook uncovered until the mixture is nearly dry and add another ladle of broth and repeat until you’ve used all of the stock which generally takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is al dente add the Gorgonzola. Remove from heat and add the pears stirring gently and let rest a few minutes
- Add toasted walnuts, Parmesan, sage, salt, and pepper and serve.
The risotto was incredible! I fixed it for four f us last night; it was so good, I’m going to do it again as a starter for a dinner party next Friday. Sharyn S., Redding, CA